Created by Lori Race and Rachel Cole, The Choose Love Project aims to help women, both young and old, to understand that loving our bodies and healing our relationship with food and exercise are choices, that these are indeed about choosing love.
The inspiration for The Choose Love Project came from the It Gets Better campaign. The premise of this campaign is that if LGTBQ youth, who are often the target of bullying and discrimination, can simply hold on until they are older, until they leave high school, their lives will get better.
We wished we could say the same kind of thing to young girls struggling with their relationship to their bodies. But the truth is, there is no promise that it will get better. As most of us know, women of all ages (and often for the duration of their lives) have a contentious relationship with their form.
The one thing that we realized we could say to younger women (all women for that matter) is that it is a choice. Loving one’s body is about choosing the path of love. It’s not a switch that can be flipped, or a specific weight that is reached – it is a choice to come to our body with love. We want to empower women to understand that they always have this choice, that they can put down their weapons, walk off the battlefield, and down the path of love.
So, we brought together the voices and wisdom of women who, in the past, have been in a place of body hatred, who may have spent every moment of the day thinking about their body, who may have starved themselves and/or stuffed themselves and who have chosen to come out the other side to a place of peace and of true self love.
We asked these women to pen letters to themselves at the age at which they stood at the crossroads of choosing to love or choosing to be in conflict with their bodies. Their letters have been compiled into a free digital book that, collectively, acts as a beacon of light for those now standing at this crossroads. To receive your free digital collection of The Choose Love Project letters, simply enter your email address in the box to the right.
You can support The Choose Love Project by sharing it with those in your local and online networks who might benefit from hearing the call to choose love from so many women who’ve gone before.
If you’d like to interview us about The Choose Love Project as a way to help spread the good word, just get in touch and we’ll set it up.
If reading the first collection of letters has inspired you to write your own Choose Love message we encourage you to share your words! Please read and follow these submissions guidelines carefully:
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- - A jpeg photo of yourself sized to 120×120. Please do not send photos unless they are sized to these dimensions
- - Your name, job title, website, twitter handle at the top of your email. For example:
- * Mary Smith
- * Life Coach, Writer, and Speaker
- * www.marysmith.com
- * @marysmith
- - Your letter in the body of your email
- - Be sure that your letter includes the age you are writing to…i.e. Dear Mary, (Age 4)
- - Be sure that the closing line in your letter reads “Remember, when you choose love, you have nothing to lose.”
- - We’ve learned that the letters with the most impact, touch specifically on the ‘how’ of choosing. Food for thought. A few questions to get you thinking: What helped you make the choice to love your body? What did you or do you tell yourself that brought/brings you back to love? How is your life better or fuller as a result of choosing to love your body?
Once we receive all your submission information we will hold onto your letter submission until we have receive enough letters to publish a second volume of The Project. When we’re ready to proceed with publishing, we’ll send you an email.
Thank you so much for your support of The Choose Love Project.
Lori + Rachel